Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Swim the mile

Took the weekend off. Just needed to rest, and had a great time in Charlotte with my excellent FO friend Natalie.

Back to the grind!!

So, quite sensibly, I reversed my workout program, lifting weights after my swim. That made things much better. Here are my times:

Lap 1: 7:37
Lap 2: 6:25
Lap 3 6:29
Lap 4 6:45
Lap 5 6:36
Lap 6 6:36
Lap 7 6:36

So my mile totaled out at 47 minutes, give or take. That makes me about 1:30 faster than my previous time. I can feel good about that. I swam a bit more untimed, after, too. Just felt good overall. I did a few 'sprints' in the water, and considering I had done a mile already, I know I have energy and wind to burn.

Interesting thing that I have found out about swimming. You know how you get a song stuck in your head, and sometimes you can sing it away? As in... sing another song, and eventually it will displace the one that is stuck? Well, there is no way to do that when you are swimming laps (I don't have those cool underwater headphones.) If you have a song stuck in your head (The other day it was "C is for Cookie," can you tell that Thomas is listening to Sesame Street?) then you quite obviously cannot sing. As far as I know, not without drowning. So there it sits, taunting you. In your head.

Bodyweight workouts.

This is where I get a lot of my ideas for bodyweight workouts. Mike likes to do his 'towel' workouts, and I can tell you firsthand, they will knock you on your butt. Sean has his Bodyweight blast workouts, too. I combine a few movements from each, or I do them as sets between 5 mile bikes on the exercise bike. Great way to combine everything.

Cheers!!

Scott


No comments:

Post a Comment