Thursday, May 17, 2012

So here we go again... registered for the Chicago Triathlon

So, here we go again!

I guess maybe I am a glutton for punishment... just for fun. I'm registered for the 2012 Chicago Triathlon (Sunday, 26 Aug.)

Last year I did the race, knowing I could never properly be a contender, or anything, but I figured what the heck, why not?

What got me started on this again was my pre-diabetic readings from my fasting blood sugar. One of the ways to bring that down is to exercise regularly. Well, if I am doing that, then I might as well do it with a target in sight.

Well, last year I got my ass handed to me by 2 foot waves in the harbor swim (on a 1.5K swim--- .93 miles) caused by the 20+ mph winds blowing out of the NorthEast. Then, I had that bike up and down the lakefront (2 laps,) on my mountain bike, for 40K (25.8 miles,) which gave me a tremendous tendonitis flareup on my right knee. Then the 10K run, and I am not a good runner to begin with. About a mile into the run, I knew I had to throw in the towel... It was either that or visit the hospital when I destroyed my right knee.

So, here I am, doing it again. At least this year I know a lot more what to expect, and I have made a few changes in what I am doing.

First off, BIG change-- I run barefoot now. I'm just closing in on a mile barefoot on the treadmill. This should help the knee problems I have had running, and it certainly has so far. The key, of course (as explained in an earlier post,) is to add distance slowly. Actually, I will run a mile on my overnight tomorrow. Treadmill... barefoot. I can tell ya, you get some funny looks when you sit down on the end of the treadmill, take your shoes and socks off, and then zip along with bare feets. Quite a few stares. But I am sold on the idea, and I have good research telling me that it's a far better way to run.

Something else that should be good training barefoot, is it should prevent a recurrence of plantar fasciitis... I would love to avoid THAT vampire biting at my heel again.

Will I do the Tri in my bare feet? Doubtfull. Too many ways to tear a foot open. I just want to get the technique down correctly, and then see if I can transition to my running shoes, or maybe pick up some running huaraches, that kind of deal. Time will tell....

Another change is I am shopping around for a good road bike. Not break the bank good, but a bike I can ride normally to the boat, etc, that I can also do 20+ mile rides on. No more mountain bike. That resistance did me in. Most likely looking at a Trek 1.2. If you are a road bike fan, and know a good bike or two to recommend, drop me a line and I'll listen in.

So I went for my first 'mini' Tri yesterday, with a swim and a bike, and an untimed run (.93 miles, tho.)(and this was after my weight workout... not sure what I was thinking, but I had a good time with it.

The pool that I swim in is 25 yards long. I count a lap as out and back, so 50 yards. I swim 5 laps for sets of 250 yards. I do the first set as 300 yards (6 laps,) so that I have an even mile after my 7th set (Actually, a little over, I am allowing for pushing off the pool every 25 yards, which you just can't do in the lake.)

So, here are my times for yesterday, swim and bike. (Pool, exercise bike.)

Swim:
Lap 1 (300 yards): 7:58
Lap 2 (250 yards): 6:39
Lap 3                   : 6:46
Lap 4                   : 6:42
Lap 5                   : 6:57
Lap 6                   : 6:55
Lap 7                   : 6:39

Total Distance -- 1 mile, 40 yards...
Total Time --       48 Mins, 36 Seconds.

That will get better, I hope.

Bike:

10 Miles, 38 minutes. Average 16 mph. I can handle that... needs to be faster. And longer. But I was running out of time (That's what happens when you are exercising during your son's nap time.)

We shall see what happens. I am hoping to update this daily from now on. I'll be exercising one way or another almost every day (There will be rest days, of course... resting is part of exercise.)



No comments:

Post a Comment