Sunday, January 6, 2013

I hope we are worthy enough...

So, continuing a not-quite-lighthearted series of posts...

Our hotel in Washington, DC, is right next to Arlington National Cemetery, the Pentagon, and the Air Force Memorial.


Since I had a bit of time on the overnight, I went out a-walking... This is a picture from Arlington National Cemetery. The rows of graves just go on... and on... and on. The cemetery itself is quite massive. It has a beautiful layout, it really is a beautiful place.

There are 400,000+ graves here.

I did not have a lot of time, since I would be meeting friends for dinner a little bit later, and it took me quite a while to walk around the cemetery to the entrance. I read a lot of names on tombstones.

Each of those names is linked to someone who had a family, was a son, was a daughter, a father, a mother. They had dreams.

Our country called them up to serve, and they went. They paid the ultimate sacrifice. They gave everything so that we can remain free men and women.

I hope that we will be worthy of the honor of their sacrifice.



No comments:

Post a Comment