Friday, January 4, 2013

back to working out

Yesterday, I did my first 3000 yard swim.

That is quite a distance. Took about 90 minutes, so that is not bad at all. Casual-like, in the pool, not pulling too hard.

It felt so good, that when I went home, I spent 2 hours chopping wood with my new 5 lb maul.

It is not big as far as mauls go. Mauls get quite heavy. And axe is good for chopping down trees, or chopping trunks into managable segments, but to split wood you really need a maul. It has a wider bevel on the blade, and when you chop downgrain, sometimes the wood just explodes apart (Thomas was very impressed by that !)

So, axe for chopping, maul for splitting.

Well, swinging this thing properly overhead has made me work some muscles I had forgotten I even had (even with working out regularly again.) And that was after my 3000 yard swim.

<owie> -- says the back.

So, rest tonight, and then meeting up with new friends (who are more like old friends) in Washington DC tomorrow. Looking forward to it!

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment