Sunday, October 21, 2012

Frank Lloyd Wright 5K and a Personal Best Run Time!

Hi all!

Well, Today was 5K #2 out of 2 this weekend.

The 36th (wow!) Annual  Frank Lloyd Wright 5K/10K was my run today, and it was excellent.

So I am trying to run more, since that is by far my weakest event segment. Remember, eyes on the goal-- "Go Long," see how far I can actually get.

So I am looking for more events to run. This was a double weekend. We had the Run the Runway yesterday, and today I was going for best time.

Conveniently, they had a timer at Mile #1, so when I went zipping (for me) past at 8:04, I knew I was running way faster than I have yet.

I walked through my water station, and then started up again. I could feel my thighs from running yesterday, so I think that may have slowed me down a little bit at this point. I do know at mile #2 I was starting to feel a little muscle soreness, and at mile #3 (just shy of the finish,) I was starting to feel my knee. Not a terrible sign, that is why I am in PT, after all, but still, I was hoping that I would not feel it on this run at all.

I could see the timer from the turn to final, and it was at 27:00... Not only did I know I was going ot have my personal best time, but I knew my goal of breaking :30 was going to be breaking :29, at the least... and is it turned out, 28:07. Just slightly faster than the 10:00 pace I try to keep in general when I run/jog. If I can maintain, that that will be best for me.

So, how did I do?

I placed 21 out of 50 in my age division.
283 out of 835 overall.

I've never placed OUT of the bottom 10%, and here I am top half of my age group, and (benefit of the doubt,) leaving off... let's say... the bottom 200 as walkers, top 50% overall. I've never done that well in a race.

So I feel really good about that....

I would like to add a 10K to the list, now I have to find one I can do. Ideally, I would also like to add a few trail runs to my practice, since they are easier on the old knees and heels, less jolting because I would NOT be landing on concrete all the time.

So more to come, in the meantime, I did my best today, and it felt great.

Cheers!

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment