Friday, August 24, 2012

After midnight

So I get in after midnight in Rochester, NY... and I don't have my charging cable for my laptop (whoops!) so I missed my post yesterday... crap.

A resolution for a year, that lasted exactly 6 days.... lol.

Things have been really busy lately with the run-up to the triathlon and my father-in-law being in town. It's great to have him visiting... Thomas loves his time with Opa, we were able to get in a fantastic round of golf, and it is always fun just sitting around and talking with him. Nicole, of course, appreciates the time with her father, too... Great visit no matter how you slice it.

Yesterday I did something silly.... I went down to the lake to get in a swim and a bike. I jumped in off of Maskwa with my wetsuit, swam down to the firehouse and back (.3 miles, or about a third of what I will do Sunday,) did a quick change, and hopped on the bike.

My goal for the bike ride was to hit the south end of the Lakeshore trail. They finally tied all the lakefront paths together, but the south end is considerably less travelled. Here is the South Shore Lakefront Trailhead, at 7100 South and Lake Shore Drive.

I pedaled out of the BPYC parking lot, and started tryign to figure out why my legs were so fatigued. I had just done a swim, but really, you barely move your legs when you swim. In fact, on a triathlon, it is usually the opposite problem, that you have no oxygen enriched blood flowing to your legs when you get out of the water; that is a problem. Most trainers tell you to take fast tiny steps when you first get out fo the water to maximize blood flow to your legs and get them ready for the longest part of a triathlon, the bike (which is obviously, all leg work... then again, so is the run...  :P  )

So a mile into my ride, I was just flummoxed. What the heck was going on?

Finally, I got off my bike and checked; I had bumped the brake caliper when I was getting the bike onto the rack on my car, and I had been basically pedaling with the rear brakes on. No wonder 11 mph was a challenge! Getting passed by a rollerblader was the killer, though.

So I grabbed my bike tool, did a little work (on both calipers... no sense repeating the goof,) and shazaam, I was back in business, ticking off the miles at a steady 18 mph.

Sigh... sometimes, we are our own enemies... lol..

Cheers!

Scott


No comments:

Post a Comment