Saturday, August 25, 2012

Why haven't YOU??

1,640.42 Yards.

24.85 Miles.

6.21 Miles.

That's a 1.5K swim, a 40K bike, and a 10K run. Back to back to back.

This is what a triathlon is. International/Olympic Length. The Chicago Triathlon.

It is roughly 1/4 of the biggie race, the Ironman.

Bags are packed, bike is next to the car, bike rack is on the car. Helmet on the pax car seat. Wetsuit is on Maskwa, gear bag is ready to be set up just so.

Last year, I did my first triathlon more as a lark than anything else. If you knew me 5 years ago at this time, all you would be is amazed that I had recovered from almost dying.

Mile after mile in the pool... Mile after mile (x10) on the bike. Miles on foot.

This year, I am doing the triathlon because I am hungry for it. Because I have a bike that makes me want to look up the distances again for a 1/2 Ironman (56 miles... I can see that happening...no problem now.) Because I have changed my running technique such that when I went for a casual run 2 days ago, I was 4.5 miles into it before I thought about going from jog to walk. Because I love to swim.

How long is that 1/2 again??

So, what is holding you back from doing something just because you want to challenge yourself?

I used to hate to run. I always tried to like it, but it would snub me over and over.

Now I love running... I loved running in the 110F heat in Arkansas... I love feeling mile after mile slide under my feet in a steady rhythm at 180bpm (run barefoot cadence, so ingrained now that I do it even with those 'foot coffins' on)... although I prefer to run in sandals. Barefoot is for the treadmill.

So, what is holding you back?

I stole this picture from a friend of mine, Kim. Her daughter did the kids Tri today that is part of Chicago Triathlon weekend. It is a picture of a 10 year old with 1 leg... completing the kids triathlon. She also saw a blind 8-year old cross the finish line. Last year, I saw a blind swimmer being helped out of the water at transition and pointed in the right direction with his swim partner for the next leg.

If I were in that situation, I don't know if I would have the balls to do that. Blind swim a mile... yeah, sure, let me get right on that.

What is stopping you from at least trying? Take a little chance. What is it that you really want to do?

As I said in a previous post, how much do you really want it? How far are you willing to go to go get it? Not everything takes great sacrifices... Maybe you are a natural at what you would really like to do, but because you have been held back, or you have held yourself back (we are our own worst enemies,) you just have not had the time, or the ability, or the wherewithall to try.

Are you worried people will laugh at you? I'm still waiting for people to laugh at me... Not athletic rock hard like most of the competitors... After the race last year (which I DNF, because I had a massive tendonitis flare-up in my right knee at the start of the run. I ran almost 2 miles on it... Just was not to be.) So after the race, I was working my way through looking for my family, when one of the women who had just finished had overheard my story to the race official on why I didn't want to take the "finishers" medal. The official still pushed it on me, and the girl who was right there thought it was an honorable thing to try to give it back. Then, she gave me a hug, told me it was her 10th tri, but she remembered her first, too, and that she couldn't complete that one, and I'd come out and kick ass next (this) year.

But she didn't laugh at me, and she encouraged me to do better and come back and just do it.

Here is my wave #; wave 43, inked on my right calf. I start at 09:06AM. I am inked the same as the pros will have their calfs done, the same as everyone will be. I have it because I am doing the Chicago Triathlon... that makes me a triathlete. I've never even been an athlete before, not really.

So, what is stopping you?


No comments:

Post a Comment