Thursday, March 14, 2013

Grass fed beef

Oh my!

So the family (Rick and Kelly Boge of Golden Guernsey of Illinois) that we get our raw milk from had a run of bull calves, which is great, unless you are a dairy, in which case they won't be able to help much (try as much as you want, they just will not give you milk.)

On the other hand, you can eat them.

So, in keeping with their philosophy on all grass fed after weaning, the little bulls were let grow up to a good weight (a year for one, 13 months for the other,) and then taken down and made into steaks. We got some NY Strips, a roast, about 5 lbs of ground beef, some stew meat, and some liver. The fun/cheap parts were all sold out within a few hours! We were hoping for some 'ox'-tails, and of course bones to make broth with. Maybe next year.

At any rate, we had our first NY Strip from the Guernseys, and wow, were they yummy! Here is a shot of them before I did a last trim before cooking. I was tempted to grill, since the weather was nice, but I didn't want to overcook them on my first time grilling this year. I'll do that with hot dogs or burgers.

The amazing thing, is the yellow fat. When you see that white fat on ruminant meat, that tells you that it lived on grains, or anything other than grass. Grass for grass eaters turns the fat yellow, or yellow streaked. This is the sign of a very healthy animal. They have not had to call a vet out in years, because the animals eat what they were designed by nature to eat after weaning. Grass. Period.

Cannot wait to try more, and I am seriously bummed they ran out of the cheap and fun cuts so early.

Oh, I forgot, they are holding a tongue for us (how many jokes are contained there?)

More to come, I am sure....


No comments:

Post a Comment