Friday, June 1, 2018

Cancer, you say.....

....long debate about writing anything about this, but I figured I would tell my story a bit more...

I had what I thought was an ingrown hair on my left cheek. I cut myself shaving on it, and that made me think that there was a little more to this. 

I went to the dermatologist that Nicole recommended when I asked her what she thought, and the doctor said it didn't look like anything terribly abnormal, but we could do a nitrogen freeze to remove it if it was bothering me, so we did that. 

Two weeks later, it was back.

So, in I went again, and they did a biopsy, saying that it could be up to 2 weeks before we heard anything, but at least we would know what was going on, and that would give us a little peace of mind. 

I made it to our crew hotel in Leon, Mexico, and had just settled down by the beautiful pool to enjoy the sunshine and swim for a few hours. I received a call from the Dermatologist's office, so I answered.
Nurse: "We got the results back from your biopsy. Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Skin Cancer. "
Me: "Wait... hold on... let me get out of the sun."
The tunnel vision you get when you hear that "C" word used is pretty epic. 

We chatted a little bit about what the best procedure to use to remove the cancerous cells is, and I also made an appointment for a full epidermal checkout a few days later. 

I called back after looking at my insurance's website to find both a Dermatologist that was "in network," and one that it turns out is part of the expanded group from my long time (but now retired) GP. Different floor, same building. 

As it turns out, they have known Dr. Alam for a long time; and considering that he teaches the procedure at Northwestern Medical School's School of Dermatology, this is exactly the guy that I wanted to go to. Made an appointment for As Soon As Possible, and then it was a waiting game of only a week.

Then I went back out by the pool, swam a few laps, and then lay down (in the shade) to clear my mind and think about hearing That Word again. 

Well..... Hell. 

From that point, I did what I usually do. I've always been a voracious reader, so I spent quite a while on the CDC and on WebMD. 

Squamous Cell Carcinoma, the 2nd most common form of skin cancer. With early detection, it is 'curable' (no return at that location on the body) at nearly 100%. You are more likely to develop another SCC near the same spot, since that is where the original damage was located. Curable is in quotes, because mine could have had an origin back when I was in my teens. It could just as easily never expanded again after the biopsy and had zero effect on me for the rest of my life, or untreated for a year or two, it could metastasize, invade the lymphatic system, and lead to any number of far more virulent cancers.

Early detection, though, and curable to nearly 100%? I'll take those odds!

Some of the good news is that my full body check came back negative; the only trouble spot was the spot on my cheek. 

Mohs Surgery is what they call the Gold Standard for this type of cancer. The Dermatologist removes the growth (under a local anesthetic,) and it is sent for an immediate biopsy while you wait. If they find the growth extends to the edges, then the surgeon knows exactly where to continue removing skin until the cancer is gone. The extent of the treatment really depends on how spread out and now deep the cancerous tissues are found. 

Luckily for me, on the second cut, they had all the tissue, and they just had to sew me up. Now I have a cool scar to remember everything by... 

I've spent most of my life doing things outdoors, so while this was not inevitable, it is not a big surprise. When I was younger, I sunburned often (not on purpose, but it was the 80s... there were people using BABY OIL to soak up as much sunshine as possible, for Heaven's sake!) 

I've been a regular sunblock user for a while, and I am stepping up my game. SPF 30 or more from now on, neck to toes, with 50 on the face, ears, etc. 

It is weird thinking of myself as a cancer 'survivor,' but I guess in a way, I am. I feel mentally that it diminishes the impact of the word 'survivor.' My friend Ryan has been through 90+ round of chemo, has had halo surgeries, all kinds of craziness. He is a survivor. I've met Leukemia survivors, breast cancer survivors, the whole lot; and what I went through is very small potatoes indeed compared to the years of treatments, pain, fear, etc, that all of those people go through. 

The take away from all of this---- Especially if you have sunburnt a few times, work outside, or have ever used a tanning bed: Grab your insurance card, and go see a Dermatologist once a year for a full body check. It takes 15 minutes, it'll help you use your HSA, and for Pete's sake, it is a small effort for something that is almost laughably simple to handle in the early stages. 

... Oh, and stop bitching and wear a good sunblock. 



 That small red indentation in the center of the picture is cancer. 





The Dermatologist marks the outline for where they're going to 'excise' tissue. 







Looks like a was attacked by a nutcase with a small sharp melonballer, but... no cancer!


 
 6 Stitches, and done! Time to heal and buy better sunblock. And a wide brimmed hat.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you are recovering now!Just to add about getting a check up- many dermatologist will do the screening for free. Just Google search for the free check up! ( In case insurance is an issue.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you caught it early, and Thanks for sharing, great info!

    ReplyDelete