Saturday, January 14, 2012

Not Redacted Yet

Hi gang!

Well, I am not anonymous redacted yet. Still more to come in that department.

But here are some interesting things.

I got stuck in London on my way back from Brussels, and had to stay the night.

These seem to be things that might happen all over the world, but really seem to concentrate in London.

I came through immigration with a Gambain woman and her friend (also from Gambia) who were returning to London for their last year of medical school. I've never been to Gambia. I never thought about going to Gambia. These 2 were a hoot! Suddenly vaulted the country onto the map of places I want to visit (my map looks like a globe. I think it is only missing N Korea and Perth Amboy.)

At baggage claim I met a Finn and his Egyptian girlfriend. They met in London a few years ago, and were coming back from visiting his family over the New Year.

At the hotel bar, I helped the Brit bartender and her Indian coworker defend British Ale against a small group of Italians drinking Peroni (British beer v. Italian beer.)

Now, this all might happen at random times, but for this all in the space of a few hours on a single evening, it sounds like London to me!

So the whole reason I went to Brussels, was to go to an "open interview" roadshow type meeting for Qatar Airways. I was to find that they no longer take applications directly at roadshows, but I got some great face time with the HR bunch, and learned a lot about where they have been and where they want to go as a company. I also learned that I fit the profile of who they want to hire into the 777 and 787. They don't get a high percentage of high time applicants, most are in the 1000 hour range (I have just shy of 10K, 1200 is PIC Jet.) I would be the guy they want in the big 'uns. Of course, they make fleet assignments based upon need, and I could just as easily end up in the A320... or the A330, for that matter.

But as my friend George (who is already flying there) told me :"Brother, you're going to be trading Detroit, Peoria, Omaha, and Buffalo, for Shanghai, Moscow, Dar Es Salaam, and Nairobi."

Most of you know that AMR (parent company for AA and AE) declared Chapter 11 bankruptcy at the end of November. Mostly, we are pretty sure, they have made it plain that the reason they have done so is to get out from under their pension obligations. That is a story for another post.

But that leaves those of us who are employees with many many questions.

Did the time I have given to this company go to waste? (5 years, 40 years, whatever.)

What if we are weakened as an employee group by this? ("What doesn't kill me makes me stronger." -- Right. Tell me that after losing 3 limbs. Let's face it... physically, you are not as strong as you were before. OF course, mentally, you might be 100 times stronger, but we're talking about paychecks here.) We could all have our jobs, but take a 25% pay cut? Close a few bases, displace a few people... It has all happened before, this is nothing new.

Delta went into BK 11, and emerged as an international powerhouse. United went in, and we still don't know where they are going to end up. Could go either way.

So what about the red-headed stepchild that is my end of the airline?

Well, we don't know.

The fleet allocation for the near future has to be presented to the Court in a week or so. I don't know the date, and it doesn't matter for this.

If they are cutting back, Eagle will most likely have to cut back.

If they cut back as far as some consulting agencies say they need to, it'll be mass pandemonium. I have heard everything up to parking all the ATRs (in progress right now,) then park the 135s (smallest RJ,) 140s (2nd smallest,) 1/2 the 145s (my plane,) and put the CRJs onto AAs payroll. This would make 9/11 look like a picnic, Eagle-wise. I think we furloughed about 700 pilots after 9/11. Might be closer to 500.. something like that. If they do the above 'worst case' scenario, our 3100 pilots would shrink to 1100, maybe less.

I guess you could call it a bloodbath, as long as you are speaking figuratively. Either way, it would be a nightmare, career-wise.

So, why not opt out for a bit?

Qatar Airways is hiring directly into the Boeing 777. Also, the A320 and A330. They are planning classes for the A350 and B787. Starting pay is very (very) nice compared to what we make as new hires anywhere in the USA. Actually, it is nice compared to anything that is made here.

Of course, it is a different world over there. Qatar is another country, they have their own laws, and ways of life.

Could be quite the adventure.

There are many more things to think about, but we've already taken the first step. Let's see where it leads.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment